1 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-09-06 16:11:17)

Topic: What are you playing right now??

You see a lot of topics here asking about what song you're working on, most played at the moment, guilty pleasure, etc....  If you're like me and spend a lot of time practicing/playing in front of the PC and browsing through Chordie between songs, I'd like you stop by this thread and post whatever it is you're actually playing at that moment (or just finished).... Whether it be something new you're working on, an old favorite, a new easy song you've recently found, something silly for the kids (or yourself wink) or something of your own creation. Hoping we can keep this thread going by updating it a little everytime someone picks up a guitar. Let us know what it is you're up to right now smile

For example:

Right before posting this I was playing Spanish Town by The Beautiful Girls over and over... Trying to get the little lead run after the chorus worked into it smoothly.

Fixing to hit post and play Hey there Delilah by The Plain White Tees just because I enjoy picking it smile

So you, holding the guitar in your lap, what'd you just finish playing or are fixing to play??  Curious minds want to know smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: What are you playing right now??

An old Dylan song recently covered by Adele (and my version is not like either of theirs smile).

"To Make You Feel My Love."

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Just finished Rocky Racoon by The Beatles (as covered by JJ)
Next is Losing Hope by Jack Johnson

Just a warning... I got rained out of work today so this could go on for a bit smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Roger Guppy wrote:

(and my version is not like either of theirs smile)

Those who only follow never surpass smile

I usually start off learning one pretty close to the original but by the time I play it for a few weeks it's morphed into something else entirely lol

Started playing Last Dance with Mary Jane by Tom Petty but about half way through I switched over to barre chords and finished it off doing Dana California by The Chilli Peppers....  Same progression and overall rhthym to both songs so they blend really well....  Don't know what's next till I start strumming again...lol

Kinda feels like I'm doing something wrong posting this many replies one after another...lol but I think it's cool to see how other people flow from one song to the next when playing for themselves...

One good thing about music, When it hits you feel no pain... yep Trenchtown Rock was next

Now for a little structured practice... Going to play Road I must Travel by The Nightwatchman (Tom Morello).  I've got the guitar parts knocked but it has way too many lyrics and I get lost in it.... Going to devote the next half hr to playing it over and over trying to get the lyrics right.

Tin Cup Chalice - Jimmy Buffett.  It's one of the songs that I have found I can fit in between hitting the enter key and the server doing whatever it is the server does until the page I need comes up. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I am still working working on the intro to Pancho and Lefty.  I just can't seem to get it smooth enough.  When I get it right, I will post it. And then I am also working on Copperhead Road by Steve Earle.  I about have the intro down, now just need to learn to sing it right.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

After Road I Must Travel it was Orange Sky by Alexi Murdoch (beautiful song)
now it's Two Coins by Dispatch

I have been asked to perform this beast! So it's going to take over my life for the next few weeks smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxwceLlaODM

You're a better man than I Tea

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I'm trying to work on my vocal range so I"m doing a lot of tunes that are well above my comfortable range right now. Jason Mraz, Lionel Richie, some Allman Brothers, that sort of thing.

Wreck of the Old 97.  I've worked out a finger pattern I like for the musical interludes.  After the "scalded to death by the steam" and before the "All you ladies you better take fair warning" I speed up a little and a little more and a little more and then when the strum (which is actually harder for me than the finger picking) gets real fast then I switch over to finger picking to make it feel much, much faster and I keep taking it faster and faster until I can't go no mo' and then take it back to strumming at the verse speed for the final verse and then after that I finger pick it as fast as I possibly can for the end. 

I say that this is what I "do", but what I should say is that this is what I've been practicing to do if I ever get the chutzpa to do an open mic.  I did this song at the July River Jam, but it still wasn't fast enough to suit me then. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

This kids heartfelt version of "Whiskey In The Jar" has left me slamming and belting it out every time I pick up my guitar for the past week or so. Play and sing it with feeling I say

http://youtu.be/6P3RLxuf8K8

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Wow Tops that kid is a little "too" into it.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Will The Circle Be Unbroken - AP Carter / Trying to learn some Carter style picking on it, and also a finger picking version on it similar to one I heard done by Taj Mahal. 

- Zurf

topdown wrote:

This kids heartfelt version of "Whiskey In The Jar" has left me slamming and belting it out every time I pick up my guitar for the past week or so. Play and sing it with feeling I say

http://youtu.be/6P3RLxuf8K8

I get the feeling that that kid spends a lot of time with his guitar and that it's good company for him.  That's awesome!  I wish I could get as enthusiastic about good, clean strums and intro licks as he does. 

- Zurf

1st verse of Country Boy Can Survive, then I tried to remember Dixieland Delight. I'm really trying to play songs without my book so I jump around a lot as I remember and forget songs.

i recently heared phil collins doing "going back". it brought back a lot of memories, so i'm trying to learn it and i've looked it up on my-space and found lots of versions including; dusty springfield, the byrds etc, so i've done my own version which (i think) incorporates all the best parts of all of them. it's a beautiful song by goffin/king. i'd love to hear carol king sing it, any one know if she;s done it?

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Wreck of the Old 97 again.  Still working on that presentation.  Now I've decided to keep going faster and faster until my fingers "wreck".  I'm not sure that intentionally making mistakes is good stage presence, but it's what I'm going to try. 

- Zurf

I'm not able to play for a few days...  Was installing a 3.5 lift to my 93 XJ and the wrench slipped and my arm hit the pinch seem of the body below the rockers and sliced my forearm. Only about 3 inches long but deep and if I extend my fretting arm too much the wound tears open again... Probably needs stitches but I superglued it closed and am going to take it easy for a few days while it heals up.

Sorry Pix--- hopefully it will heal soon. I've heard of the super glue trick on small cuts
but yours? Been workin on my JX and have many a cut and scrape etc. Back to the subject at hand I have been playing many songs but not really working on any serious except Pancho
and Lefty-kinda.

Our intuitions serve us well

Still scrapping with "Little Wing" Don't know how long its gonna take.  Sure wish I could play it like it's Daddy could...

Now available in 5G !

Jeez, Ouch! . Hope it heals soon Pix.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Pix, I would guess that the pain of not playing your guitar is nearly as bad as the injury pain. Get well soon and be more careful with the car repairs.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"