1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-27 22:03:51)

Topic: GFS Acoustic Pickup System

I truly love my Larrivee, except for the fact that it has no electronics. I may one day buy an acoustic with a pickup, but instead may install a system in my D03. Guitar Fetish has a number of options, and I especially like a blender system like the one in a Yamaha A3R I was looking at. The GFS components are as follows:

1) Preamp w/ blender system (http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-EAP-510 … _6417.html)

2) Electret Microphone for in the body (http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-35mm-ja … _6421.html)

3) Neodymium soundhole pickup (http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Soundho … _6422.html)

Has anyone installed a system anything like this, and what has been your experience? From what I've heard (here & elsewhere) the GFS gear is decent quality and decently priced. This whole setup -  with an endpin jack - comes in at well under $100.

Re: GFS Acoustic Pickup System

TF,
  Have you looked into the k&k pur minis? We put them in Amy's Martin. They are awesome. Easy to install, and the sound of the guitar is clear and clean. They are around $100.

Doug pointed us in the direction of the K&K's and I think someone else here has this pick up too.  No preamp required, no on board controls, no battery, and it's totally invisible (with the end pin also).  I plugged my guitar directly into a PA speaker and it sounded great!  I use it with my little acoustic amp and can adjust from there (although there really is no need). 

I was looking at some of the sound hole magnetic pickups to start with, but I didn't like the "electric" sound that they give off.  The K&K truly does just amplify the natural tone of the acoustic.  I'll hop off the soapbox now, because to each his own.  Maybe you want a different sound than I did.  smile  Pickups can be a lot like guitars in that respect.  It's gotta sound good to you!  smile  Good luck!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks for the teamwork, MKM and MKD. I'll have a serious look at the K&Ks ... much obliged for the advice.

TF,  Actually that is a good system you are considering.  I particularly like that you have options with it in so far as inputs for versatility.  In the past I tried one of those "in the body" microphone type pick-ups, and it seemed prone to feedback and gathered ALL sounds including the rustle of a shirt cuff against the guitar, and the scrape or tap of a ring worn on the fretting hand.

If that is a problem with the GFS, you would simply reach inside and unplug the mic, and perhaps install the piezo as another option.
As Amy stated "It's gotta sound good to you!"

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks, Doug!

Wise considerations about feedback and ambient sounds. The folks at GF claim that the rubber stalk on the internal mic helps to reduce feedback and handling noise, but we'll see. With Piezo's and transducers, I haven't really heard one I like the sound of. They just sound thin / shrill / tinny to my ears. I'm hoping that being able to blend the mic and the pickup will give me something more natural sounding in between. I need to hold off on ordering right now, as the CDN$ is at about 0.80 USD right now. Only the lads at the upper echelons in the financial industry really know why.

7 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-06-09 09:44:21)

MKM and MKD ...

Thanks for letting me know about the K&K Mini pickup system. As it turns out, GFS was out-of-stock with the pre-amp I was considering, so I began looking around. I got to hear a friend's Seagull guitar with K&K's in it, and was very impressed. So I bought it an installed it in my Larrivee, and it's excellent. Very natural, full sound ... unlike any other transducer system I've ever heard. The magic is in having three transducers, and the pure simplicity is genius.

The only complaint is that the system is $165 CDN, due to exchange rates and so on. I'd like to see the whole Stock Exchange, Commodities Exchange, and Money Market Exchange systems dismantled. It's a false economy that enables the wealthy to abuse the rest of us ... but that's a pointless rant.

So many thanks for the introduction / recommendation!

I'm glad to hear you gave it a try and are as pleased as we are!  smile 

I still can't believe that no pre-amp is needed.  It's so small and neat, no one has a clue it's even electrified unless they pay attention to your endpin/plug - or of course you actually plug it in!  LOL!  All things considered, I think the price is a great point on these.  It is too bad that our two countries - such neighbors - have a money system that is so off from one another.  I guess it all has to do with what our governments choose to spend their money on, and how much debt they go into.  I don't quite understand it myself.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

As an update on the K&K pickup system, I'd been using my volume pedal to regulate the output ... not always convenient. I wondered if there was a cord that would have something like this built in ... lo and behold, there is!

http://www.rapcohorizon.com/images/product/medium/345_2_.png

The Rapco V-Cable has this very simple Volume knob at the end where it it jacks into the guitar, and now a person can have an on-board volume control for K&K's, or any similar design pups. This may be old hat to some of you, but I was glad to discover it and have ordered one.

http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-345-v-cab … cable.aspx

That's a cool cord!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

11 (edited by Baldguitardude 2015-07-20 18:01:12)

Crap. I just found out that I need all new cords.

12 (edited by dino48 2015-07-21 00:41:35)

Nice cord looks like it would work very well. some good tools up at the top you found,Russell will most likely be checking out all this stuff.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman