1 (edited by 25Frankster 2007-09-21 14:20:14)

Topic: Dumb song you like to play

OK, everyone has 'em...the  songs that no one else wants to hear, but when you're in your room all by yourself you just have to bust 'em out with some real bad vocals to go allong....mine are:
Poison--Every Rose has its Thorn....I sing everything bad, but I KILL that song.
And my country set that no one wants to hear...Good Hearted Woman & Folsom Prison Blues.  If I ever want my wife to leave me, I'll just play those songs over and over.  If I closed the set with Mercury Blues she'd hit me with an iron on the way out the door.

Re: Dumb song you like to play

I sing fulsome prison blues badly too !

I shot a man in reno just to see him die - great lyric and when Johnny cash sings it - you can believe him 

Tuesdays gone by Skynard is a great song to murder

Hey Joe By Jimi hams up good too

"Summer Breeze" by Seals and Croft.  I hated this song before I learned how to play it on the guitar.  Now I play it a lot.  I still can't sing while playing though.  Maybe someday.  If not, the worlds not missing much by not hearing my voice.

Redemption Song.......I stink the place out with that one. Great fun! smile

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

I'm going to try Summer Breeze tonight...and when I get to that little lead part, I'm going just make the noise since I can't play any lead! 

I LOVE that line from Folsom Prison Blues....I like this line from Mercury Blues too: "Had a girl, stole her from a friend, he got lucky stole her back again".  Great song...if anyone looks that one up, throw in a D7 and a G7  during the verse--funks it up a bit.  Heck, play a B7 and A7 and then you got something!
OK, I'm headed over to Sam Ash to play at lunch...all this blues talk, I can't wait until I get home.

OK - here is my dark little secret . . . "Que Sera Sera" by Doris Day.
Catchy chorus, good verses, easy chords . . . good little song actually - but forever tainted by the smarmy perkiness of Doris Day.

I included it in my 'Ballads From Blondes' songbook:
http://www.chordie.com/publicbooks.php? … ngid=46499

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Only You by Yazoo

Never Had  a Dream Come True by S Club 7

Need I say more.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Pretty much everything.  I play mostly old Country tunes because they're easy, but I aspire to Sissified '70s Folk Pop.  I think right now the song my wife least enjoys me playing is "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road."  It also happens to be my most requested song, because I have two young daughters who LOVE it. 

Song that I do the worst is probably Crocodile Rock.  Yeah, on guitar.  Fingerstyle.  Pretty bad. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

9 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2007-09-21 18:56:23)

Many times in the early stage of my gigs young children will be there with their parents. I do a medley of ScoobyDoo, Sesame Street, and Sponge Bob Square Pants. The kids absolutely love and I feel like the dork of all dorks but as long as the kids are happy.........

A few other 'silly' songs are Carma Chameleon By Boy George, I Am Woman by Helen Reddy, TV themes; Jefferesons(Movin'On Up), Fat Albert(Hey, Hey,Hey), Come On Feel The Noize by Quiet Riot, Ace Of Spades by Motorhead, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Highway to Hell, It's a Long Way From The Top if You Wanna Rock-n-Roll by Ac/Dc. The previous 5 songs are silly only because I do them with only my acoustic guitar and surprisingly they most always go over well. Good topic.......

Give everything but up.

10 (edited by alvee33 2007-09-21 20:25:30)

I always find that when I play Ace of Spades it always comes out as a country version. Always puts a smile on my face, the thought of Lemmy dueting with Dolly or something.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

The one for me is "Coal Miners Daughter" by Lorretta Lynn
Mainly because I'm a Coal Miner's son.lol.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

Ok I can fess up .... Evergreen by Barbra Streisand, has great chord changes, Puff the Magic Dragon,
Shaboom, By the Crew Cuts is so much fun..."Hey nonny ding dong, alang alang alang Boom ba-doh, ba-doo ba-doodle-ay, Life could be a dream!''
I'm sure there are many more......

Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Stuck in the Middle by Steeler Wheels.

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right!"

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

14 (edited by Wibble 2007-09-22 18:11:49)

Personally speaking there are a few I sit and play when i'm on my lonesome.

Muse - Stockholm syndrome:
I just love the main riff in the intro to the song really.

Muse - Feeling good:
Theres like, 5 notes max that get played in this tune and 4 chords but sound good and is easy to sing along too...as long as you can get near Matt Bellamy's vocal pitch!

Breaking Point - One of a Kind:
Basically its just one of those tunes i'd never heard of until I bought an Xbox360 and started fighting people online on SvR07 with Rob Van Dam, since then i've began to like this song a hell of alot...but never on earth enough to play infront of anyone!

Guns N Roses - Don't Cry:
I love the song, only the second song I ever learned to play (the first was Welcome to the Jungle) and I really like te lyrics but I have a tendancy to absolutely muller the song!

Offspring - I want you bad:
Just a really fun song to play, reminds me of being 13 jumping around my bedroom, a bit like the next song....

Papa Roach - Last Resort:
As above, never understood the lyrics, just loved the guitar work on it

and finally, and most ashamedly...

The Darkness - I believe in a thing called love:
I won't even try to justify this... I'm sorry everyone

Ooh, yeah i forgot to say, i also mess around with The A-Team theme tune too on occassion, but not as much as I used to when I first started

jerome.oneil wrote:

Stuck in the Middle by Steeler Wheels.

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right!"

Hello Jerome. With clowns to the left and jokers to your right
you should be having a laugh a minute. Laughter is all good.
Yes that is a great song.

Take Care...Badeye.

one caper after another

sometimes i like to butcher 'only god knows why' by kid rock....

All You Need is Love smile

I play things from grease one of my friends realy hates that movie (but I love it) so every time he comes over I play it and sing it which I sing it very well. Like I sing sandys part on Your the one that I want and Summer lovin.   I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!

Lets go melt some faces!!!!

These are for the most part good songs. If you want a really dumb one here it is. Every time I play it it puts me in a good mood.

Kung Foo Fighting!!! Simple 3 chord song.

Everybody was [D]Kung Fu fighting, those cats were [Em7]fast as lightning
In fact it was a [D]little bit fright'ning, but they fought with [Em7]expert timing.

(Edited by Moderator - Copyright laws forbid Chordie from hosting original songs, a line or two is permitted for example or help only)

Eddie

"Battle of New Orleans" by Johnny Horton.
One of those nuggets from my childhood...

Go WINGS..and Tigers,Lions and Reading F.C...C'mon Royals

I play "Karma Chameleon" with my friend Jamaica at work.
We ham it up on guitar lunchbreaks for the crowd and have a ball.

=p
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I need to print out about all of these...need to go get some paper.  And big time honesty going on here, admitting to playing Evergreen & Que Sera Sera--we must be among friends!
And I love the Battle of New Orleans! "in 1814 we took a little trip, along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty missisip...." 
good stuff.
OK, one more confession..."Just between you and me", April Wine, '80's power ballad.  Miss half the B minors in that song, but I still give it a go!

I love the Bee Gees, Abba, even John Denver who are fitting in this topic.
I use one phrase: there where really good groups, but it was NOT DONE, to tell others you like these bands.
A strange fact: there is a revival, like a disco revival.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hey,
I play "Love is in The Air" by John Paul Young when I'm bored....
Or I play "You Got A Friend In Me" by Randy Newman.
Or "All I Have to Do Is Dream" by those brothers whose name escapes me.
Or a Monty Python Medley.
Or a Jesus Christ Superstar Medley. That's not so bad though.
You can imagine what this is like, when you can't actually sing.

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

alvee33 wrote:

Only You by Yazoo

Never Had  a Dream Come True by S Club 7

Need I say more.

errm, yeah Al,
you should say more....like SORRY ,lol

only you, fair enough but S club thingy????

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I cannot think of any dumb songs I play unless you include some syd barrett songs like Bike, effervessing elephant, the gnome, love you, dark globe, if its in you ( even with all the out of tune notes see me on youtube doing this)
but I dont see these songs as dumb songs but  ireally can see why some uneducated in the barrett way would se them as stupid never mind dumb,lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending