Topic: Fastest playing guitar?

What brand of guitar is considered to be the fastest playing? I've read that Ibanez guitars are quite fast, as well as ESP and Kramer.  My Danelectro actually has a faster and flatter neck than some cheap Strats I've played.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Fastest playing guitar?

SG

if you can learn bass in 15 minutes
then why do i play the guitar???
tongue

Whatever guitar suits the guitarist!

Speed comes from the skill of the player so the type, make, model and set-up of the guitar will be what that particular guitarist is comfortable with.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

Whatever guitar suits the guitarist!

Speed comes from the skill of the player so the type, make, model and set-up of the guitar will be what that particular guitarist is comfortable with.

Roger

I understand that most of the speed lies within the ability of the player, however if you pick up, say, a cheap Les Paul or Strat, and then maybe an Ibanez, there's a noticeable difference in speed.  Maybe I worded the question wrong-what brand guitar has the fastest neck?

Switchfoot

I have to agree with roger ive seen videos of guitar players play setups where the strings were raised over the fretboard and there fingers were fat compared to mine and they ripped solos on guitars that you would not think of as fast action or built for speed and ease of play in some cases it could have been the only guitar this musician ever owned or could afford so they made due with what they had and overcame by sheer determination and god given talent

"Growing old is not for sissies"

It depends on the neck and person playing ... I know my fingers dont move fast on my Les Paul but on the Schecter they move alot faster ... the neck size between them both is like night and day

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

depens on the person playing and how long they have been practising the fast peace of music;) if you want to gain speed try thunderstruck of ac/dc the intro

plays: Ibanez arx 120bx electric guitar , Fender CD60 steelstring

thomas-jansen wrote:

depens on the person playing and how long they have been practising the fast peace of music;) if you want to gain speed try thunderstruck of ac/dc the intro

You know what's funny is that I used to think Thunderstruck was crazy fast, but it's pretty easy to play after you learn hammer ons and pull offs, although sometimes I actually pick the notes to get a better sound.  If you want to see some crazy speed playing, check out Eric Johnson Cliffs of Dover live on youtube, or Herman Li and Sam Totman on Through the Fire and the Flames, or pretty much anything by Yngwie Malmsteen.

Switchfoot

I've always been turned off by the speed players. I say the note you don't play (and the silence) (Think David Gilmoure on "Animals") can be just as important as the notes you do....
Of course as you can plainly tell that may be part jealousy and I love a good bluesy solo

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:

I've always been turned off by the speed players. I say the note you don't play (and the silence) (Think David Gilmoure on "Animals") can be just as important as the notes you do....
Of course as you can plainly tell that may be part jealousy and I love a good bluesy solo

If they can play ridiculously fast and still sound great, more power to them.  That's why my favorite players are guys who mix slower melodic parts with some fast runs, like Eric Johnson, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, etc.

Switchfoot

I think that any quality guitar, acoustic or electric, if properly set-up can be played incredibly fast! Different players have different preferences such as neck width, string gauges, body shapes, bridge set ups, etc.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Very nice,i hope your playing well, for as  musicians we have to give thats what its really about,eh ? what say you.

Maybe the question is really about neck types and playability. IMO speed is overrated, unless you are a shredder.   
Personally, I like  thinner neck and a rosewood fretboard. 

A lot of your comfort level is dependent on your hand size and the neck type.  So, if you are more comfortable with one neck over another, you may play faster, or at least feel like you do.   To each his own.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

I have always found Ibanez have extremely fast necks.
However, B.C Rich also do. About 2 years ago I got a B.C. RIch Beast and its neck is faster than that on my friends Ibanez RG series.

Ben

It's not how well you play... It's how much effort you put into the playing

well,have we all missed the point here?

06sc500 wrote:
thomas-jansen wrote:

You know what's funny is that I used to think Thunderstruck was crazy fast, but it's pretty easy to play after you learn hammer ons and pull offs, although sometimes I actually pick the notes to get a better sound.  If you want to see some crazy speed playing, check out Eric Johnson Cliffs of Dover live on youtube, or Herman Li and Sam Totman on Through the Fire and the Flames, or pretty much anything by Yngwie Malmsteen.

well i am learning this song now on guitar lesson and i dont learn it with a pick cause u get the hammer and pull off better that way but is doens't really sound that well too bad. herman li??? isnt that thay dude of dragonforce:P i saw him play live with the unholy aliance couple of months ago but they were jelled off the stage:P it is nice that he can play fast but not all the time;) later

plays: Ibanez arx 120bx electric guitar , Fender CD60 steelstring

I agree IT DEPENDS ON
1) THE GUITAR PLAYER
2) THE BRAND
I don't know what the best brand is but remember the solo on CHILD IN TIME by DEEP PURPLE and the super fast play of RICHIE BLACKMORE ON A FENDER, and if you go back to WOODSTOCK, and listen to TEN YEARS AFTER with Alvin Lee playing I'm going home on a Gibson 335, I am convinced that every guitar can be called the fastest guitar, as long as the neck fits well in your hand.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

06sc500 wrote:

What brand of guitar is considered to be the fastest playing? I've read that Ibanez guitars are quite fast, as well as ESP and Kramer.  My Danelectro actually has a faster and flatter neck than some cheap Strats I've played.

It's the action set up and milling and crowning the frets which will make the guitar neck fast.

Regards,

Bootlegger.
Bootlegger guitars.