Re: Your Weather

Spring has finally arrived here in Nova Scotia!

The leaves are out, the dandelions are taking over the yard, and the blackflies are in "mass assault" mode every time I've gone fishing. But the trout have been biting every trip I've been out, all kinds of birds were singing in our back yard this morning, and all of the farms in our area are growing great. The cattle farmers are starting to take their first cut of hay off of their fields, and that sweet smell of fresh cut hay is all over our Valley.

Love this time of year!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/bc/74/01/bc7401d619cab39bcb302c8b131e1726.jpg

Hot Hot,Hot. Ihad too go get groceries at 8am this morning ,I do not want too go out later because of the heat.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

tornado watch right now in central NY - other than that - spring is great

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

tornado watch right now in central NY - other than that - spring is great

Ours just expired. We had some wicked thunderstorms rolling through for the last couple hours. 40-50mph winds and horizontal rain.

Nice photo TF!  It sure is nice to see something, anything, other than snow when I look out the door!  Spring is here too. 

Yup TIGLJK and UJB - we've got a few limbs down near us from the winds yesterday.  I guess we're in for a rainy week... but hey, the grass is cut and the furnace is OFF!  smile

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/11000116_10206663466323951_1110623468330173400_o.jpg

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hot and now adding insult too injury we are getting humid weather coming in from a hurricane way south of us (like Mexico).

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Due to lack of rainfall we are now experiencing the lowest flows ever recorded on some of our local streams.  I hosted a gathering of smallmouth fishermen last week and we had to drag our yaks and canoes over some of the riffles because the water was so low.  A couple fishermen had driven all the way from VA and PA.  Still, there were several fish caught, campfire pickin' went on every evening and I think everybody had a good time.

Weather forecast is for hot days and evenings and maybe a 20% chance of rain over the next week - still not enough to increase the stream flows to normal levels.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Hot here and staying for awile. Send Water!

That's an amazing photo, MKM ... did you take it? You must have a fast shutter speed to capture that in mid-air like that. Very cool!

I mowed my back lawn this morning and it was already 85. Now the city wants to hear Go brown and be proud of it!!. None of my friends and neighbors are doing it, we are all doing without a lot of water needs.  We allworked hard too get our yards in shape.

TF - yes, one of my new toys is a Nikkon DSLR.  That little swallow built her nest in that box that's sitting on my porch, about 7 feet from where I have my morning coffee!  She scares me a little sometimes when she comes bustling out of there, but it's been fun watching her and her little boyfriend.  wink  The nest is currently full of feathers!

Dino - we've been promised a "hotter and dryer than usual" summer.  I'm sure glad I can always walk down the road a bit and jump in the lake!  Next they'll be bringing back the whole "if it's yellow let it mellow..." on ya. 85 in the MORNING?  GAH!  I guess I'll stay here and complain about the snow in the winter for a few more years.  I'm not ready to turn to mush before I even wake up.  wink  If we hit 100 here, it's almost always a record.

DE - sounds like we're looking at a dry Summer all around huh?  Good think you know where the water holes are all hiding.  Shhhh... don't tell Dino!

Amy please tell me!! and get everone to lean onthe west side of there areas so the water leakes to the west coast!! 100 now and for the next few days. Send Water!!

Not to brag but I'm sitting in my living room, looking out the french doors watching it rain, It started about
10:30am this morning and its still coming down. I was planning on mowing the lawn, today, but guess that will have to wait, now.

Looks like we got a lotta fishermen on this site - maybe we need to figure out a way to exchange some trips. But that's a subject for another topic.

Nela

dino48 wrote:

Amy please tell me!! and get everone to lean onthe west side of there areas so the water leakes to the west coast!! 100 now and for the next few days. Send Water!!

Dino, it's drought everywhere!  Oregon has 19 out of 39 Counties on water conservation limits (and has had for over 5 years now).  My cousins from the Eastern side of the mountain were over visiting last weekend and we heard all about what they have been putting up with.  Irrigation water allotments were cut in half several years ago, and they have been cut in half again just recently...... simple math makes that 25% of what was available 10 years ago!  They're Ranchers and have to maintain pasture and grow feed for the cattle, or go out of business.  Not a pretty prospect, and pumping from wells is not allowed.  Water is measured in acre-inches instead of acre-feet, so you don't "make hay while the sun shines" you do it when your canal is wet.

Just coming out of a week of sunny 90s, and although it's cooling into the 70s, no rain for awhile in the forecast. But fishin' was good the other day, cooked up a nice limit of trout for supper.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:
dino48 wrote:

Dino, it's drought everywhere!  Oregon has 19 out of 39 Counties on water conservation limits (and has had for over 5 years now).  My cousins from the Eastern side of the mountain were over visiting last weekend and we heard all about what they have been putting up with.  Irrigation water allotments were cut in half several years ago, and they have been cut in half again just recently...... simple math makes that 25% of what was available 10 years ago!  They're Ranchers and have to maintain pasture and grow feed for the cattle, or go out of business.  Not a pretty prospect, and pumping from wells is not allowed.  Water is measured in acre-inches instead of acre-feet, so you don't "make hay while the sun shines" you do it when your canal is wet.

Just coming out of a week of sunny 90s, and although it's cooling into the 70s, no rain for awhile in the forecast. But fishin' was good the other day, cooked up a nice limit of trout for supper.

Doug we are all having a bad time of this. and fire season is already here.

Well, the two weeks of spring were nice.  Generally we just get a Wednesday afternoon between 2 and 5 PM.  But it's summer now.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Our best thoughts & wishes to our west coast Chordians, who are suffering drought conditions so early in the summer. I was reminded of this 1972 song by Canadian songwriter Valdy, appropriately called "The Rainmaker":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrrq7xqr5Go

Finally got up to 38 C!  (that's pushin' the 100+ mark for all you domestics)  Humidity is hanging around 30% so it's a "dry heat" and with a breeze steady around 15Mph stepping outside is kinda like walking into a food dehydrator.

Managed to get a nice 12 hours of irrigating done last night and finally shut it down early this morning...... hope it'll last until next Friday.  On the bright side though a few years back I buried a whole mess of "leaky hose" and it does a good job of putting everything below ground where it tends not to evaporate when the sun comes up (and right where we put the plants that really need it).  Something to think about for you all trying to stretch your water ration.  I'm also a fan of that capillary drip stuff too, but had to pull it out of the ground because it started to get brittle from minerals or somesuch and got leaks everywhere except where I wanted it.

Also got the "chainsaw symphony" out here on the job at "zero dark thirty"  taking out a few trees that are mostly dead and cleaning up all the deadfall from this last winter's snow.  In the morning they'll be back to chip it all for mulch..... which takes care of my fire prevention measures.

Wishing everyone a safe and wildfire-free Summer!
Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Meanwhile, in NY State, we still have flood warnings and the spring fed well we thought we plugged up is now causing a small marsh in the far back yard near the woods which makes for excellent breeding for mosquitoes.  I was hoping to enjoy this Sunday, but it looks like more rain.  They say we should enjoy it while it lasts though.  This summer is supposed to dry out in July.

170 (edited by dino48 2015-06-27 01:22:24)

I am melting!! 104 today and high 90's sat and sunday ,100 plus for a week after that,send water! June 26th 2015

Only 97 today here. Will be 102 by Sunday.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

mekidsmom wrote:

I was hoping to enjoy this Sunday, but it looks like more rain.

Probably the same system that is forecast to dump 2"-3" of rain on us tomorrow. The streams are already running high so a Flash Flood Warning has already been issued. It's moving into the Pittsburgh area now so by early morning we'll be getting drenched.

Hard to believe just 2 weeks ago I was complaining about the low-water records being set in our local streams.  After 12 days of constant rain, we're now at the other extreme in our area. National weather service predicts daily storms for at least another week.  When the grass finally dries out enough for Jen to mow, we're gonna have to rent a hay baler.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

bensonp wrote:

Only 97 today here. Will be 102 by Sunday.

Pretty much the same here Pete. I took the motor bike out this morning but even in just shorts and 'T' shirt it was uncomfortably hot. I will take the car this afternoon with the aircon going full blast. smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

About time to revive this thread.

Last year we had our first snow right before Thanksgiving. It got cold in November and never let go until late March/early April. Same with the 13/14 winter.

It couldn't be any more different this year. We've been getting some modest cold spells but it warms right back up. Highs have been in the 50's and overnight lows in the 30's. Only going down to around 45F for the next few nights with highs in the mid 60's.

The weather gurus are saying no brutal cold or snow into Christmas. That's as far out as they're willing to guess.