1 (edited by bensonp 2012-08-06 20:18:00)

Topic: .Pet Peeves

I thought I had started one of these way off topic discussions a long time ago, but I couldn't find it.  So, lets blow off a little steam and talk about what really gets you going, what makes you mad.  I'll start off with two things that are at the top of my list.

1.  People who leave shopping carts in the middle of the parking lot and you look around as you drive up and see the cart return section about 20 feet away.  What's up with that?  Lazy people, pure and simple.

2.  Then there are the people in cars that swerve in and out of traffic just to get one car length ahead.  I know they are in a hurry because they pull right in front of you then pass the next car and pull back into the other lane.  You can watch them do this for miles ahead of you. This one really gets me going.

Anyway, got that off my chest.  What bothers you?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Re: .Pet Peeves

When you have two or more lanes going in the same direction and you pull up behind someone.  They're going well under the speed limit, but when you pull to the side to pass they speed up so that to get by them you have to go ten or fifteen over the speed limit to get by.  Or worse, you decide not to pass and pull back in behind them and they slow back down. 

Also the converse of that, when I am going below the speed limit and hanging in the right lane only to have someone zoom up on my tail end before moving to the passing lane despite it having been clear and available to them all along. 

There will be many more from me as I think of them.  There are PLENTY of things that annoy me.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

When driving down a road and someone pulls out in front of you just to turn again in a few seconds. depending on your speed it could be dangerous.

badeye    cool

one caper after another

I thought that sort of thing only happened in New Zealand.

this happened to me on the way home from pembroke last saturday.

i was in a bit of a hurry as i needed to get home to catch the last round in my local club.
so the irish ferry arrives in fishgard at around 1 AM. so the road was full of (what i expect were) irish people making their way to london for the olympics! i'd been following one for ages when we came to a roundabout, he went into the near side lane so i went to the outside lane to get passed. but, without looking, pulled out right in front of me as i was accelerating! i jammed on the anchors and managed to avoid pushing his drivers side door into the passenger seat!

the good thing to come from it i suppose is that i still have rapid reactions, at 61!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

My pet peeve is singers and actors being called an artist instead of an artiste (and before anyone points it out, I know that Chordie does it smile). Singers and actors have nothing at all to do with paints and canvass.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

1.  single ply toilet paper.
2.  beans in my chili.
3.  gas prices.
4.  phone bill colectors / salesmen who want take NO for an answer.
5.  Loading....Loading.......Loading.......Loading.....
6.  38 long boobs.
7.  today's politic's.

Nela

Oh, man.  This topic is LONG overdue.  Where do I begin?

1.  (Similar to Zurf's) People who drive too slow in the fast lane and refuse to move over.  Invariably it's a big honkin' SUV being driven by an overweight woman who is taking on a cell phone.  (Hey, it's not a stereotype if it's true.)

2.  People who refuse to acknowledge you when you hold a door open for them.

3.  People who think it is OK to take up more than one space when they park their car.  (Side note:  Years ago I used to carry around fake parking tickets which I would put under their windshield wipers.  The paper said:  "SUMMONS - Notice of Inconsideration.  Did you have to park this way, or are you just a selfish b*stard?"  Maybe I need to get some more of those.)

4.  You go to get a cup of coffee at work and someone who took the last cup left about 1/4" in the bottom of the pot.

5.  People who ding your car door and refuse to leave a note.  (C'mon, people, if you bang somebody's car, take accountability for your actions.)

6.  People who feel like the government owes them a living.

7.  People who refuse to say "I was wrong", even when they know they are.

8.  People who refuse to say "I'm sorry", even though they are.

9.  People who can't win an argument with facts so they resort to personal attacks.  (Here's a clue:  If you argue with someone and end up insulting them, you're probably wrong.)

I'm not perfect by any means, but I do try to treat people the way I would like to be treated.  Be CONSIDERATE, and we'll get along fine. 

Yep, I got lotsa issues . . .

Thanks Pete.  I feel better now.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Another one, when you say "Thank you" to someone and they reply with "yeah" or a grunt.  The correct response is "you're welcome" or "my pleasure" or something like that.  "Ugh" is not a proper response to 'thank you'.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

10.  Misuse of the "Reply All" button in email.

11.  "Do you want fries with that?"  [Did I ORDER fries with that???? - I haven't actually said this, but I've wanted to.]

12.  Caller:  "We just wanted to give you a courtesy call and thank you for your donation last year, and--" 
Me:  "You're welcome." [click]

13.  You go to a gas station and use a credit card to pay at the pump.  When finished, you request a receipt from the pump.  After a few seconds, the display says "Please see cashier."  [The receipt printer is out of paper, which means you have to go inside, thus defeating the convenience of paying at the pump.  Like I said earlier, I got issues.]

14.  Companies who still send mail to my house intended for my mother.  I can't seem to get them to understand that she died two years ago.

15.  People who make stupid decisions (even after you've laid out the likely unfavorable consequences for them), and then when things go sideways (as you expected) want to find ways to blame anyone or anything but themselves.

There will likely be more as I think of them.  But, I'm finding this quite therapeutic.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Man, you guys have it bad.  I agree with many of the comments, I am sorry to say.  Another one for me is anyone standing in a store doorway texting, so you have to say excuse me.  I just want to kick their ass.  Texting or talking on the cell phone while shopping or driving.  I understand we all get calls sometimes when we are driving, but I make it quick and tell them I'll call back.  Some people will drive next to you for many miles, 20 minutes or more and they are on the phone the whole time.  That's the ones I hate.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

- Emails without a subject line... I just delete without reading

- "How do I post a song on chordie" or "I can't get the beatles". Spend a damn few minutes reading other posts, resources or the FAQ and you will discover you can't post songs here. There are likely dozens of threads with the exact question on the same damn page - a little research goes a long way!

- Press 1 for English! Do I live in Spain or Mexico??

whew -glad to get them off my chest

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

13 (edited by dino48 2012-08-07 01:00:17)

I live in a state (california) that when you do go the speed limit 55 or 65 everyone passes you up like you are standing still and looks at you like you are an alien,I also can not stand sales calls of any kind,so now if they are not hanging up I hang up on them. I also can not handle calling tech help personel that you do not understand 90 percent of what they are saying as I do not speak east Indian!!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Totally in a different direction, but I am amazed at the ridiculous way in which some guys are wearing their pants way down below their posterior.  I stood behind a guy in a checkout line the other night who couldn't even walk right because his pants were so low (almost around his knees) that he had to just kind of waddle for fear his pants would actually fall to the floor.  Just don't see the merits of this type of dressing.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

T V programmes where the background music is louder than the dialogue

16 (edited by zguitar 2012-08-07 04:27:54)

Looks like we all have our lists so here's a few of mine:

People who say they did stuff to fix up their houses when all they did was write a check. They didn't DO any of it, they had it done.

People who try to tell me how to do what they hired me to do. If you now how to do it then why am I here? You want me to do it so leave me alone and let me do my job.

At a crowded place (amusement park, mall) people stop dead in their tracks right in front of you. My wife does this and it drives me insane. Get out of other people's way!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

The person who walks towards you texting, expects you to get out of their way, and glares at you when you just stop dead in front of them...!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

I have no (pet) peeves. Everything ticks me off now days! I'd like to be a hermit with my guitars and a life time supply of strings.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

E-bikes that don't travel in the bike lanes.
Here's one from yesterday. I am looking to replace my 12' aluminum with a 14' aluminum and trailer. Found one on KIJIJI, set up a meet. The guy was a no show, then called me to tell me that he had another buyer, at a higher price than I offered. Wasted 2 hours of my life on this turd.
Line up to back into a parking spot, and some clown cuts in behind and steals the spot just as you throw it into reverse.(I want to yell "ramming speed" and hammer the accelerator!)
"Hot enough for ya?"
People who walk up  and grab one of my guitars without asking first.
Door to door religious salespeople...
People who don't respect your personal space. (They walk up to talk and stand so close you can tell what they had for dinner)
Bad hygeine. (I was in the grocery store on the weekend, and I could smell an approaching shopper from 25 feet away - a real maggot gagger!)

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

People who don't flush, especially in public bathrooms. 

Being telephoned by a computer.  I do not talk to computers.  If a computer wants to tell me something, that's fine.  "This is the library.  The book you requested has arrived.  Thank you."  Done.  I'm good with that.  If the computer wants me to respond to them via telephone, it is out of luck.   "Press 1 if you are interested in our offer."  Not doing it.   I especially hate when the computer calls to tell me that I have to call someone back.  Nope.  He should have just called me in the first place. 

Scam artists who rely on my stupidity.  Especially scam artists who use a computer to call me to tell me to call them.  "This is an urgent message from card holder services..."  How dumb do they think I am?  "Card member services".  You're calling me and and having your computer script identify yourself by a department rather than a company name.  Sure.  That happens all the time. 

- Zurf

How about this one - When I'm practicing a song on guitar and am interrupted by my wife complaining about how my daughter won't practice piano.  OK, so what's the message?  Practice is important and you shouldn't interrupt it, or practice isn't important and you shouldn't complain about it not happening.  Grrrrrrrrrr. 

- Zurf

Bass Viking wrote:

Totally in a different direction, but I am amazed at the ridiculous way in which some guys are wearing their pants way down below their posterior.  I stood behind a guy in a checkout line the other night who couldn't even walk right because his pants were so low (almost around his knees) that he had to just kind of waddle for fear his pants would actually fall to the floor.  Just don't see the merits of this type of dressing.

The dress code (what dress code?) these days is appalling.  I am not a high class person that wears slacks and a nice shirt all the time, but I agree with the pants sitting halfway down your butt.  What is cool about that anyway.  You can tell they are not comfortable with it because they are constantly pulling them up an inch so they won't fall to the ground.  Another dress thing for me is the young kids that look like they just got out of basketball practice, long baggy basketball shorts down to mid calf and an old T-shirt 3 sizes too big.  And this is the way they dress most of the time, no matter where they go.  I relaize that this is the style and that is what they will follow, but hey.......

people who think they know it all.    do your homework cause most times things backfire on them.

thieves.   no use for someone who steals.

potholes.

badeye    cool

one caper after another

Girls that go out shopping in their pajamas and slippers! Oh whitewater, I spend 12 hours a day in supermarkets. I know exactly what you mean. I always have the hygenically challenged watching by. EBT cards. The same girls in the pajamas always have EBT cards. Then they get into their escalades or navigators. Makes me wonder what I am doing wrond

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

If that's how you want to live, it appears that what you are doing wrong is performing personal hygiene and wearing clothes.  On the flip side of that, though, I'd be wondering what they have to do to get the keys to an Escalade.  We're likely better off with our showering and dressing routines. 

- Zurf