Topic: First Gig

Hi all,

My son's just left the house on the way to his first gig, playing bass and singing.
He's 11 years old and I'm pretty sure that it's going to sound like something they use to torture suspected terrorists at Guantanamo Bay.

I played my first gig aged 19 and nearly ended up with brown pants.

When did you first "hit the boards" and what was it like.

all the best

David

Re: First Gig

Wow does that bring back some memories. I was about 20 years old I remember smoking about 2 paks of ciggerettes before the show. I was a nervious wreck. It ended up turning out well.

what a long strange trip it's been

all the best to yer son david,
i remember my first and I was 20 years old, at least at 20 I could buy bevy and get blootered.lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

16 years old playing upright bass in a playhouse orchestra.  First musical was Kiss Me Kate.  It was a blast, but hotter than heck.  The orchestra played in a loft rather than in a pit in this particular playhouse and it was frequently over 120 degrees in the loft.  The strings had to constantly retune and the horns kept small coolers with ice.  They'd drop a piece of ice into the mouthpiece just before starting to play to keep from burning their lips.  I played a bit of trombone too.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

5 (edited by acmecorp 2007-07-24 18:02:32)

Hi again,

The lad's just got back, apparently the band's called 'Toxic Life'

They murdered   Paradise City (Guns 'n' Roses)
                         Smoke on the Water (Oh my God)
                         It's Time to Rock 'n' Roll (Toxic Life)

They got an encore and girls were fainting (but it may have been the heat).

Have you got the balls ...

cheers

David

I was 8 but it wasn't a real "gig"...it was in a classical orchestra. Basicaly it did not end well...I got so nervous when I saw my parents, I sent my violin bow sailing into the audience.

7 (edited by Zurf 2007-07-24 18:45:59)

nadine2 wrote:

I was 8 but it wasn't a real "gig"...it was in a classical orchestra. Basicaly it did not end well...I got so nervous when I saw my parents, I sent my violin bow sailing into the audience.

So long as it went into the audience in general and not into an actual audience member such that it had to be removed, then it went well enough.  Thanks for the chuckle. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The lads didn't destroy those songs, you have to be proud that he performed already. What guitar is he playing on? I think that it must be easier for a kid to perform, than for older young people. They are a lot less influenced by critics, everybody tells them that it was fantastic AND IT IS FANTASTIC. I was convinced that miracles didn't exist, but once you grow older, you start to worry maybe 10% about your gig, but 90% about what "girlfriends" will say, other youngsters, and don't forget the jealousy.
Don't Know if you agree, if yes, answer me, if no answer me too.

CONGRATULATIONS to your son, and THE PARENTS, who made this dream to a reality, it wouldn't work without your efforts, but performing this, I really like to see, or hear them. Don't know how, youtube?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi Doc, David again.

You're right as usual, I shouldn't make a joke about my son's performance.

He played my bass, used a microphone he borrowed from me, and he's still high on the adrenaline. ( is that how you spell it?)
I couldn't see the gig because it was at his school leavers party and parents were not allowed in.

The next time that 'Toxic Life' perform I'll try to borrow a video camera and capture the event.

still keeping the faith

David

My first appearence on stage i loved! It was an Easter Musical! in my school !Remember it vividly! I think it was the early 19 hundreds? well it feels that far back!and yes i remember My Parents in the front row, and the colour of my Mams coat! Wine!  My Dads suit, as the men then only wore suits for these occasions! Most of all the total look of love from them to me on that stage!
Money just cannot buy that sort of memory! So Thanks Arc for a lovely trip down memory lane!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Canada Day celebration in my home town. I was 14 and my knees were knocking. We flew through a set with lots of Stones as our lead singer thought he was Mick Jagger. I agree it put us right in with the girls! I still have my original notes for the set, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, Behind Blue Eyes, My Generation, Tush, Angie,...... ah it does bring back memories!

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

I'm 14, and even though it's hard to find a real paying gig around the Ohio State campus area I've done a couple performances in school. The first was the junior high musical (i played a 150 year old hillbilly, a fun part, however my voice broke character.) and a couple classroom performances. (when everyone else writes poems to present, I write songs) I'm not usually nervous around crowds, but whenever I break out the guitar I start shaking, I'm not sure if it's the thrill or just me being nervous, probably a bit of both. anyway, nice topic.
cheers
~kori

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

jpage_roxmysox wrote:

I'm 14, and even though it's hard to find a real paying gig around the Ohio State campus area I've done a couple performances in school. The first was the junior high musical (i played a 150 year old hillbilly, a fun part, however my voice broke character.) and a couple classroom performances. (when everyone else writes poems to present, I write songs) I'm not usually nervous around crowds, but whenever I break out the guitar I start shaking, I'm not sure if it's the thrill or just me being nervous, probably a bit of both. anyway, nice topic.
cheers
~kori

Keep it up and it will get easier!

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

A couple of years ago, well maybe 50 years ago, when I was a boy soprano I was to sing a solo at the school concert.

The rehersals all went very well and the big day came I was in the middle of the school choir singing my socks off and then came time for my solo. Everyone stood aside and the spotlights came on me. Suddenly I was terrified, my mouth went dry, my heart went into overdrive and I was shaking like a leaf. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me.

I thought then that I must not let Mrs Bell (my music teacher) or my parents down and that I would look a bigger fool if I did not do it than if I did it badly so I went for it. I made it though and although everyone said it was great it destroyed my self confidence and it was years before I was able to perform in public again.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

15 (edited by (0)==#paranormal guitar 2007-07-25 19:29:19)

No, I'm never going to do a gig I don't think. I stand by the fact I'm not cool enough.
I'll just busk, it's easier. Plus, who'd listen to me in a club or something
yikes there's a scary thought...
Actually, I've played in an asembly before in year 6 at my old primary school. I did a few things, including Wild Thing by the Troggs.
Is that a gig?

Oh and well done David I'm sure you've done great! I envy you. I'm actually staring to wish I was dead again, I better listen to Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life.

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Hey, Will

I'm not attacking you, nothing could be further from the truth.
You are are a cool guy, I mean that from my heart.

Don't give up, and remember you've got people talking, a lot of guys never achieve that in a whole lifetime.

It's the debate that's important, that's what democracy is all about.

Keep on talking

all the best

David

Hi again paranormal,  I am afraid that I had a similar problem. I never get farther than , at this moment, and 30 years ago. Did you know that somewhere outside, and I talk about  big names, that A LOT of musicians start getting very, very nervous, they have almost the same kind of stress we had going to college when the time was there for an exam. I was blessed, thanks to my profession, to be "backstage doctor" and only for the artists. I had the honour that I was invited ON STAGE, to see the professional music groups. Before I knew, did the job about 15 years, AND, every year, I had a real nice experience. BUT THERE WERE RULES
- DON'T DISTURB, was the most important rule.
I can only tell what I saw, before performing, they were so nervous, that it's almost impossible to perform. BUT once on stage, there was areal metamorphosis (= they all changed) and they played a very, very good gig, a lot of times I was invited by the artist, so YOU CAN TASTE A LITTLE BIT, on stage, when they played. Some groups had more than 50 guitars, and they had a special technician, who tuned their guitar too, wish I had taken one. But on stage it affects you, it is/was an experience, better experiences, and your body is full of adrenalin it is like YOU are a member of the band, and once when it was already quit dark, with the CURE.
Imagine, 60000 people a lot of lighters it feels, even after all those years I still think about this.
Don't panic, I think that if you compare 10 groups, 9 of them will be nervous. I don't lie or exagerate, once on stage you get a kick. Even after 40 years, the rolling stones are nervous. Fact is, I saw it with my own eyes, because they changed very quick into a situation which is not healthy ONCE ON STAGE: a metamorphosis. I saw so much artists, and I was for a long while in contact with Dave Grohl, he told me too, that since the foo fighters, he is more nervous than in Nirvana. Often you can see the drummer, more difficult, he didn't suffer a lot when still in Nirvana, and Cobain got all the attention.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi everyone I'm Acmecorps son and I didn't murder Paradise City, I didn't play bass I played guitar.

Thanks for reading Caleb

Hi I'm Caleb Parker I love Gibson Les Paul classic guitars but I don't have one,my dad (Acmecorp) has 1 Fender Telecaster (American),1 semi acoustic Gretsch,1 electro acoustic,1 hollow Epiphone bass and I have 1 Fender Stratocaster,1 12 stringed acoustic,and I love surfing.

Now son, if you were not playing my bass, why did it leave the house in a gig bag?

Because I wanted to show it off and play a few things

Hi I'm Caleb Parker I love Gibson Les Paul classic guitars but I don't have one,my dad (Acmecorp) has 1 Fender Telecaster (American),1 semi acoustic Gretsch,1 electro acoustic,1 hollow Epiphone bass and I have 1 Fender Stratocaster,1 12 stringed acoustic,and I love surfing.

Hi David's son,

I wish I was more like you

Will

cool
okay??

my first gig i played in a folk band when i was five

So Red Delicious

You know sanguine, you and acmecorp  and me should get together more regularly so you can make fun of me more! smile

cool
okay??

yeah it would be nice but really have you taken latin as a language

So Red Delicious

I don't follow you. hmm

cool