Topic: Country/ Western Music.

Hi,
I would like to ask a question of my American Chordies!

I read all kinds of stuff on here about  Different Kinds of music.
Garth Brooks-Aint Going Down {till the sun goes up}
Copperhead Road- Steve Earle
Black Velvet- Allanah Myles. Are just some of the music i learned to line dance to!  Along with tons more!    Excuse my ignorence but are  all these songs or Artist Considered Country/Western?

Thank You,

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Re: Country/ Western Music.

Well, that depends on who you ask.  big_smile

For some of us, modern "country" artists aren't.  They're more countrified pop artists.  "Real country" is harder to come by, and holds true to it's traditional roots.   For others that aren't quite the purist I am, yes, they'd be country/western.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

So Jerome,
are you telling me Loretta lynn, Emmylou, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash and all of the older crowd were the real C/W. I was raised on there songs..
I did go to see Garth Brooks twice when he was here ! His Show was absolutely Suberb,  But Allison Krauss and her Band was even Better! Her music sounds different?

Slán
Old Doll.

Old Doll wrote:

So Jerome,
are you telling me Loretta lynn, Emmylou, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash and all of the older crowd were the real C/W. I was raised on there songs..
I did go to see Garth Brooks twice when he was here ! His Show was absolutely Suberb,  But Allison Krauss and her Band was even Better! Her music sounds different?

Slán
Old Doll.

Yup.   Those first guys are the real deal.  I *love* Allison Krause.  I've seen her three times live.  She's more bluegrass than pure country, but she's the real deal.  Phenomenal talent.

I have not seen Garth Brooks, but I understand he puts on quite the show.  Did you know he used to be a hair band heavy metal butt rocker?

No Jerome
i did not know that! Cannot even imagine it! But he did  get "The Point Venue in Dublin Jumpin when he Played here.
I did go to see "Willie Nelson Last time he was here! We were all very disappointed!  We all left the venue early and headed to a local session near us.  I always loved him, but on that night he was awful... Miss Streisand was the same here a few weeks ago! 180 Euro up to 500 Euro for her tickets! To be up to your knees in mud ? Complete ripoff.

Old Doll.

How about some old country singers like

Ferlin Husky

Ray Price

Charlie Pride

Little Jimmy Dickens

Porter Wagner

Bill Anderson

Johny Horton

Carl Perkins

Lynn Anderson

The Carter Family

Glen Campbell

Just a few I still listen to.

Take Care...Badeye

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

Ferlin Husky

Ray Price

Charlie Pride

Little Jimmy Dickens

Porter Wagner

Bill Anderson

Johny Horton

Carl Perkins

Lynn Anderson

The Carter Family

Glen Campbell

Take Care...Badeye

stick on john anderson and that is one of the most phenomanal country music lists ever

the answer is blowin' in the wind

manofgod wrote:
badeye wrote:

Ferlin Husky

Ray Price

Charlie Pride

Little Jimmy Dickens

Porter Wagner

Bill Anderson

Johny Horton

Carl Perkins

Lynn Anderson

The Carter Family

Glen Campbell

Take Care...Badeye

stick on john anderson and that is one of the most phenomanal country music lists ever

Yes Manofgod John Anderson goes on that list. He has a great voice and some real good songs. Thanks for the reminder.
Take Care...Badeye.

one caper after another

I'm not American (no you don't say), but I think I deserve an opinion.

Personally, I love Dwight Yoakam, and I can't see how you could describe him as anything but country.
But how long does someone have to be around until they are not considered 'new' ?

What about Lyle Lovett, I've heard him categorized as 'Texas Swing'  (Is that a sub-category of country?)

Steve Earle, brilliant, Copperhead Road, great album, in my opinion country, even the collaboration with the Pogues (Johnny Come Lately)

Surely, it's the 'quality' of the music not when it was recorded.

Anyway, what do I know?

cheers

David

10 (edited by last_rebel 2007-08-28 15:20:32)

But how long does someone have to be around until they are not considered 'new' ?

What about Lyle Lovett, I've heard him categorized as 'Texas Swing'  (Is that a sub-category of country?)-----

Usually you are caonsidered 'classic country' when you've been around 15-20 years. An artists ceases to be "new" when he has survived the fickle world of nashville long enough to realease a greatest hits record.

In answer to your second question yes texas swing is a sub-category of country music. COuntry is really a very broad style because it can include anything from texas swing to country rock to Ray Charles lol (yes he is recognized by the country music people and a contributor to the genre).
Texas swing is a combination of traditional honky tonkish country music and big band and swing. Bob Wills and the Texas Troubadours can be thanked for making it famous.

And yes you are right, it IS the quality of the music not when it was recorded. To me thats one of the best things about country music,you can line my family up from age 11 to 80 (and im talking every pit stop in between), turn on the radio and there won't be one person who doesn't know the words, be it an old hank or ernest tubb song, or somebody like Montgomery Gentry or gretchen wilson. Unlike a lot of popular music styles (not knocking em just saying) the next generation doesn't snub and/or forget the past generation.

All You Need is Love smile

Hey Dollie, do they have country in your country (funny sentence). I heard some country and I have the impression that they play it HARDER, LOUDER, FASTER, more in the ROCK DIRECTION, can it be true?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

12 (edited by Zurf 2007-08-28 15:29:57)

You're new until I've bought two or three of your albums.  Not a real fair way to judge it, but that's the way it is. 

There is a local band from Ohio that I think you can probably only buy their albums from their own site or from CDBaby, but they are GREAT.  Their motto is "It's not your grandfather's Country, but he'd probably approve."  The band name is Hillbilly Idol.  I've got two of their albums and love them both.  A couple of their songs, "Dixie Highway Home" and another which has a name I've forgotten but is a Country yodelling polka love song.  Go figure.  Anyway, they stick out as among their best, but their entire repertoire is very traditional country (even the yodelling).   Check them out here: http://www.hillbillyidol.com/

If you like traditional Country even a little bit, you owe it to yourself to give them a listen and see if you want one of their albums. 

- Zurf

edit:  I looked up the yodelling song, and it's Hillbilly Polka.  I checked out the sound samples on their site.  They're only 0:15 each, so listen fast!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Wiley and the Wild West are worth a checkout if you dig honky-tonk and cowboy songs.

And for the record,  "You're new until I've bought two or three of your albums,"  is a small bit of brilliance.   Concise, easy to remember, and absolutely true.   big_smile

Old Doll,

Let me see if I can help to clarify. The music today is more show, it involves a lot of theatrics. The music of yestarday had no theatrics. Yestardays music had no television, so you heard it. If you can listen to a song/music and can injoy it then it's country/western, but if you have to see it then it's new country/western and to someone that lived yesterday then it isn't real. If you can feel it without seeing it then you've expierianced it. I've talked with people that thought John Denver was rock and John Denver sang folk/country and was known for folk/country. If Garth Brooks is country to you then so be it, but if you think it has more a pop or rock sound to it then so be it. Country, Western, Cowboy, etc..., it all has it's own sound, but to someone that don't listen to it all the time, it all sounds the same.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

zurf,
those guys are pretty impressive dude. Wish there was a way to hear a whole song.... hard to beleive theres someone left who can play like that
guess they aint got em all yet as ol waylon would say.

All You Need is Love smile

16 (edited by Old Doll 2007-08-28 21:24:47)

Thank You All,
I love all kinds of music. I do love C/W, But i dislike the way that some of it is portrayed here!
Badeyes list! I would know so many of them. some i didnt know by name,but knew all there songs! They were covered at some stage by Artist on this side of the Pond.
No it definitely does not sound all the same to me, I would feel some are Folk/Country.. I have a brilliant CD I bought some years ago. Woman and Country Music! It is fantastic.
Steve Earle,
Ronnie Milsap,Kenny/ Dolly/Willie so many i love.. And i will add on the new ones recommended
We do have Country Music here! Mainly Rural! Mainly Covers from the American C/W Artist. Our Line Dancing Music is always The American Artist.
Some of our big Showbands have done great Country Stuff over the years, But sadly its fading fast.
Family get togethers are so important especially when music is added! All ages sing there own songs and they are carried on through the generations. A must i feel in todays world...
Thank You Again.
Slán
Old Doll.

The discussion in this thread regarding 'traditional' vs 'theatrical' country music got me thinking.
So I wrote a song.
"The 'Country' Life?"  is posted in the Songwriting section:
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic. … 413#p19413
Give it the old twang and howl and see what you think!

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hey check out George Jones's song "Who's Gonna Fill There Shoes". A song about country musics ledgends. A real nice song.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

There has always been a discussion about what makes country music. Back in the 80's I remember Barbara Mandrell ( i thinkit was , may have been Lorrie Morgan) having a hit with "I Was country when country wasn't cool". In the 90's Alan Jackson sang "Gone Country" all about pop starst jumping on the country bandwagon.

If you listen to some of George Strait's early albums they are totally different to the material he produces today. But one thing runs through the entire country music music genre. Good songs, sung well and in every single song a story.

Maybe that is what makes it. Country music is the storytellers music.

David Grant

Gutar Player, Singer, Entertainer  - At least in my own mind.

David Grant,
Barbara Mandrell ! I dont really do TV at all. But i remember Her show as it was one of the very few music shows we would have had on our local channels at that time..
I have watched the Country/Music awards. and when in the States i love there C/W music Radio and tv stations.   Any Documentary about Country Singers i would watch. Always fascinating i feel.
Thanks for the reminder David   Of "Barbara Mandrell".

Slán
Old Doll.

Good morning Lena. Your post on country music is a good one. Country music to me is most of the older artists that were mentioned in this thread.I have a few books on country music and find them to be very interesting.You know I'm more of a blues guy but like country as well.

How's your garden? Gem says hello to you.

Take Care...Badeye.

one caper after another

There has always been a discussion about what makes country music. Back in the 80's I remember Barbara Mandrell ( i thinkit was , may have been Lorrie Morgan) having a hit with "I Was country when country wasn't cool". In the 90's Alan Jackson sang "Gone Country" all about pop starst jumping on the country bandwagon.

If you listen to some of George Strait's early albums they are totally different to the material he produces today. But one thing runs through the entire country music music genre. Good songs, sung well and in every single song a story.

Maybe that is what makes it. Country music is the storytellers music.

Barbara Mandrell was the one that sang "I was country when country wasn"t cool"  as for George Strait, he used to be a rodeo rider so of course his older music will be of a slightly different flavor of country.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

Hi Eagle Eye,

I didn't know George Strait was a rodeo star. I learn something new every day.

The only other great singing rodeo start I knew was the late Chris Ledoux.
Excellent artist.

David Grant

Gutar Player, Singer, Entertainer  - At least in my own mind.

Here in this Isle,
There is a huge point made by some " That There Townies" Even in the smallest Town they will make this point!  Five minutes outside the town they are considered to be Hicks? Or real Country Boys or Girls!. Personally i dont fully understand this? Some choose to work the land. Some choose to live in the cities or towns! Some have no choice at all. A lot of my own family members { Born and Bred 10 miles from the Capital} Have  bought or built houses in the country! 30 years later they would still be called " Blow Ins" But are as happy as Pigs in the preverbiales! They would not live in the city if they were given a home for nothing! Best of both worlds i guess...

But as America is so vast does the same apply? Maybe thats why some of the C/W can sound so different! in the different areas... Also surely the instruments they use will give a different sound to there music!
Just a thought..
I can distinguish Cajun music, and love Cajun food! Why i dont know?

Old Doll.

Old Doll wrote:

I can distinguish Cajun music, and love Cajun food! Why i dont know?

Old Doll.

Hi Old Doll,
Zydeco music (cajun) really does stand out doesn't it?  There's not a lot of music forms using the wash board and accordian these days.  If you love cajun music and cajun food then you should make a trip to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, there is plenty of both there.
Jim